Monday, September 1, 2014

Well Dressed Home No. 55 - Mohair


So whether you love it applied on a tufted upholstery piece, like a chesterfield (yum), or on the modernist of seating; trust me you will catch yourself "petting" it like a sick fetish. And that's quite alright!
Willow Bee Inspired





I have a story to share about how a seat made of mohair continues to carry memories for me and a love of this luxury fiber that remains with me to this day. Growing up one of my Dad's prized possessions was a shiny black 1937 Chevy. When he took my siblings and I on a ride we knew we were to be at our best behavior. 

Besides having fun standing by this car and laughing at the "fun house like" reflections it created of my siblings, I remember rubbing my hands over the back seat and feeling the texture of the mohair upholstery. 


Stories are so important in our home and they can be added in so many ways. Even written using a fabric.  Mohair is made from the hair of the Angora goat. It is durable, naturally elastic, flame resistant, crease resistant, and does not felt. 




I haven't quite worked this fabric into my home as of yet. But I consider it a must. Mohair is so beautiful and takes dyes well. 





Mohair isn't defined by style, just like other design classics. So whether you love it applied on a tufted upholstery piece, like a chesterfield (yum), or on the modernist of seating; trust me you will catch yourself "petting" it like a sick fetish. And that's quite alright!




Angora, from which Mohair is derived, is the most resilient natural fiber and is considered Eco Friendly because of its sustainability. Love this organic element of such a beautiful fabric.





The challenge of introducing this into one's home is that it needs restraint. For without restraint, something special becomes just something else. 







And don't forget the possibility of using Mohair as your drapery panels. Oh sweet goodness!







There are a few things in the design world that I recommend using the "less is more" application. Mohair is one of them. Mohair is also one of those fabrics that is rarely considered in the design of a room. Not sure why?





Once you are introduced to this luxurious fabric you will be on a scavenger hunt to find the perfect spot for your home.








It is warm in the winter as it has great insulating properties, while remaining cool in summer due to its moisture wicking properties. So it has very few limitations even in the coastal areas. Enjoy!


Image Sources: Traditional Home, House Beautiful, Coastal Living, Pinterest, 1st Dibs, Boston Design Guide, Michigan Magazine, Decor Pad, Design Field Notes, Elle Decor, HGTV, St. Regis Hotel, Houzz, One Kings Lane, Upworld

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...