Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Rethinking the Look of Things No. 15 - Good Bones

When I am asked to redesign a room I always look for existing pieces in the home with good bones. I define pieces with good bones as those pieces that quietly sustain the emotion of a room's design.  Pieces that are shuffled from room to room because we just can't part with them but we don't know why. These are the pieces that I draw inspiration from.

My inventory of things a client currently owns that I want to use in a room's redesign sometimes brings a quizzical look from them, but I encourage an open mind. Most times I save the surprise of reusing a "good bones" pieces for discussion at the presentation of my planned design. I love the twinkle in the eyes of its owner. They know they love the piece but are torn by design trends.

I encourage you to rethink your current furniture pieces and ignore design trends. After all, it is the "good bones" pieces that are the detail that completes a room.

Here are some images of my favorite rooms with "good bones" pieces. See if you can spot the good bones.





Image Sources: Decor Pad, Veranda, Architectural Digest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...