Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Design Questions Answered

Though I am a firm believer in the fact that design rules are meant to be broken, (you know those "old wives tale" design rules that just won't seem to go away) here are a few helpful facts that are always good to know.

TIP #1: How high should my chandelier be hung above my dining table?
Your chandelier should hang approx. 30" to 34" over a dining table in a room with an 8' ceiling. Hang an additional 3"  higher for each foot of ceiling over 8'.



TIP #2: What size is a queen size bed? A king size bed?
A queen size bed measures 60" x 80"
A king size bed measures 76" x 80"


TIP #3: What percentage of my home budget should be allotted towards design/furnishings?
20% of the value of your home should be allowed for design/furnishings.



TIP #4: How much of my design budget should be set aside for accessorizing?
It is a good rule of thumb to allow 10-20% of your budget for accessorizing to complete your room(s).



TIP #5: How do I know what size area rug I need for under my dining table?
Measure your dining table and add 2' on all sides. This allows your guests to sit comfortably away from the table while allowing your dining chair to remain on the area rug.


TIP #6:  How high do I hang my artwork?
Hang your artwork so that the average-size person is able to look comfortably at the picture without either bending down or looking up. When artwork is being hung over furniture it may need to be higher then eye level-try to keep most of your artwork down to where people can see and enjoy.


TIP #7:  How high should a wall sconce be hung?
As a general rule a wall sconce should be hung 5'5" from floor.


TIP #8:  What paint finish should I use for my wood trim?
Semigloss is recommended for durability.


TIP #9: Can I use a large print wallpaper in a small room?
Absolutely! You will be amazed at the effect using a larger print wallpaper in a small room will give. It will give the illusion of a larger space.


Images Scalamandre, House Beautiful, Decor Pad, Nourison, Belle Maison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...